Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Personal Letter to the Social Media Marketers…

14th April 2010

Shebley Haslan Abdul Majid
UWS Student Residences,
604 Great Western Highway,
South Werrington, NSW 2747.

Dear Marketers,

CHANGES FOR THE COMMUNITY

It has come to my concern on your active usage of the available social networking platforms as your personal goldmine in generating revenues. Personally, I am more interested in the effects of your marketing/advertising promotional programs to the society as a whole as it has diverted my fellow community from engaging with face-to-face interaction in the business transaction within the social media context.

Kotler, Adam, Brown and Armstrong (2001:440) argued that “critics accuse the marketing system of increasing cultural pollution. Our senses are being assaulted constantly by advertising”. By having this notion, I am sure that you are aware that today’s advertising (which involves sex, materialism, and power…well I certainly don’t have any idea why you should promote all these…) pollutes cultural understanding of the purchasing behavior within the society. I am very impressed with your capabilities in engaging with excellent persuasive communication in manipulating my fellow community to continuously engaging with your unreasonable products and services. However, regardless of how you plan to manipulate my fellow community, I am pretty sure that you are being controlled and manipulated by the major organization in achieving their business objective as well as continuously generating growth and revenue for them.

As a consumer, I would like to extend my advice to you to forget about using persuasive communication as you should concentrate in establishing trust and relationships in the social networking channels a ‘person-to-person’ basis. Trust me when I say that not everyone are convenience in engaging with the social networking channels as there are still online users who are reluctant to engage with these channels due to lack of trust to you and your fellow marketers.

As you are also among the consumers who are being manipulated by the marketers therefore, your consideration and understanding on my comments and suggestion is highly appreciated. On behalf of my community, please bring some positive changes to us in addressing and gratifying our purchasing behavior without having any intention to manipulate us.

Thank you and best regards,

Shebley

Kotler, P., Adam, S., Brown, L., & Armstrong, G. (2001). Principles of Marketing. Australia: Pearson Education Australia Pty Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment