Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Few Broad Questions

Our posts have largely been about specific topics, but I would like to address three assumptions or questions that are part of the thread of many articles I have read about social media and ethics.

1) Is the abundance of blogs and free, user-generated content like Wikipedia threatening information, education and the role of 'professional' media and experts? Is this an age of  'copy and paste' instead of research and learn?

2) How far should companies and governments go to protect user data on the Internet, or is up to the individual?

3) Does piracy or even legal purchasing of art on the Internet threaten copyrights, artists, talent or industries?

Discuss.

Here are my thoughts.

1) No, most people understand that you cannot believe everything you hear on the web, and most people who read blogs or Wikipedia use it for entertainment, to get a handle on what ordinary people are saying, or to lead them in the direction of more reliable research sites. In my experience very few students at uni plagiarize, because it is easy to tell if a work is not yours, especially with Turnitin, and you won't really learn anything by cheating. Also, morals are not completely absent from people nowadays, nor is pride in one's work. There are places on the net where you can find reliable or academic articles you just have to be careful, and many people still use books and traditioanal media for information.

2) This is very important, especially when it comes to protecting children's rights. The govt has to establish regulations regarding online information gathering and security standards, especially for sites that store massive amounts of personal data. Social media sites should not be shut down however, as there are people wise enough to know how to use it.

3) No. While I am against piracy, I think figures about how much money piracy costs the economy assume that every item pirated equals to dollars lost. I think the reason why pirates rip off so many goods is that they CAN do it for FREE. They would not be willing to pay money for art. Even if you stopped piracy, all the former pirates would not suddenly start paying money for goods, they would find another scam. They were never potential customers. Legal purchasing of music, games or movies is a wholly positive thing in my opinion. It is cheaper than retail because we don't have to purchase the pre-packaged over-priced sets forced on us at retail, we can choose which individual music, games or movies to download at our convenience. Copyright is still protected, and artists make money. Artists can subvert the traditional talent scouts and producers, who in my opinion probably overlook a lot of talent. If traditional retail companies suffer, that is too bad, there are new companies making money and if a quality product is offered people may come back to retail somewhat.

Now let's hear your opinions.

2 comments:

  1. Shebley say…

    1) I personally think that Wikipedia is not the best medium to promote any products and/or services as anyone can easily gives their own definition on anything or adding some information to the existing information. I’ve experienced a situation before where the Managing Director of the company that I work with has given me instruction to change/improve the definition of our products and services on Wikipedia. I found that it’s difficult as I am unable to control the information as it is open to anybody. I’ve changed it but later on someone added something to it. It will never end. Therefore, I’ve suggested to have our corporate website link on Wikipedia and it is my responsibility to ensure that it will be there at all time as my focus is to direct the customers attention to our website rather than depending on the Wikipedia. However, after I left the company, I’m not sure whether the company is still interested to what is on Wikipedia as the corporate website link is no longer there.

    2) I believe it is both parties effort to materialize this.

    3) Yes..as the customers can easily download the songs, movies, etc directly from the internet without having to purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Answer

    1. Yes. Even many people always say that Wikipedia is unreliable how ever what would happen if you do a search on Google and you find a lot of site saying the same thing. Is they going to impact your believe and other believe? Is the search engine like Google is the first place that people thinking of when need the answer.
    2. Data of the user should not be available on the internet unless with the concent of the user.
    3. Yes. It is true that the digital form can be easily copy therefore; it is harder to protect the copyrights. If this the case how the artists defense this for survival.
    They might take advantage of this. For example let the song be popular by free copying on the internet and the artist can organise a concert once make sure they are popular enough indicating by the counter on the free site like Youtube.

    ReplyDelete