Saturday, April 10, 2010

Moving with the Message

Audience exposure to the social media involve with the perspective of how they are making sense of what they receive from social media in a kind of symbolic informational message. The dissemination of messages however, differs from how one perceives the message as it is all dependant on one’s culture. They should be looking at the mediums in which culture has been used in understanding the social media and considers culture as shared experience, mediated symbolic communication, resource and policy discourse.

In understanding the culture of an individual, the global social networking users are able to provide the right messages to the right target audience, as now the target audience has been segmented into different cultural groups as it connects people from different cultural backgrounds across the globe.

However, in social networking channels, face-to-face interaction is absent together with the verbal and non-verbal communication and this will affect the interaction of people with the human relations context. Some people chose to have a face-to-face interaction especially in building trust and relationships and some just want to interact with its contacts regardless with or without face-to-face interaction especially when time consuming is concern. But some of the “silver-tongued people” are using the social networking channels in catching their “victim” especially which involve with intimate relationships, online purchasing of products and services, delivering negative information about certain country, religion etc. Just because they can do it does mean that they should because it is considered as unethical and unprofessional. The audience should take an extra precaution when dealing with any unknown online users.

9 comments:

  1. Perhaps as people are more accustomed to being bombarded with different messages, people will become more cynical and wise about believing information spread throughout social sites.

    One way to think of social networking is as a place for debate over issues which have no clear answer.

    But honestly I think most people use social networking to feel comforted and part of a social group, and don't necessarily think of the political possibilities.

    Grish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Grish, although people under 25 are said to be more engaged in politics than the 25 to 35 age groups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Grish, but what about the demographic under 25 who its reported are very engaged politically?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shebley say…

    I do agree with you my friend but I personally believe that debate functions as to find solution and answer to all matters or else it will just be a waste of time. Yes Grish…you got that right as most of the people are engaging with the social networking channels as they want to be part of a group, event, organization/association etc and not necessarily got to do with political possibilities.

    Personally, I do involve with Friendster before but in 2008, while I’m on medical leave for 2 months and have nothing to do besides resting on bed, I have signed up a Facebook account just for fun as I am just “testing the water” in identifying why majority of my friends involve with it. But now I am addicted to Facebook as I am able to be connected with all my long lost friends besides able to be abreast with the organizations and associations which I am directly and indirectly involve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grish
    I think find a someone against social networking is a exciting thing. Sorry about Shebley. But I have no idea about any social netwoking.
    Yes, I did it,but I never involved that. Also, I do not understand why we need face the screen to communicate each other. Should we talk about the daily fun or business eye to eye? I know probably will say: if we are from different space, countries, or different time? how could we do that?
    Another question is that how do human organize their time,only Facebook or outside actions like running or chating with family. If we are excuse that it is pretty convenient on the social networkig sits. I think that is another reason to be sitting the chair and waiting the message feedback. these life I can not image that.

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shebley say…

    Dr. Gwyneth…I would personally divide those demographic under 25 who are engage politically into two groups. Group 1: Are those people who are really interested in the state affairs and want to bring some changes and colors into the political arena…upholding the country’s good name…being the voice of the community in the decision making process etc. They do involve with the social networking sites in spreading their ideologies, getting more members in supporting the political party.. and not necessarily critics on the govenrment affairs as they could be penalized once they are cought.
    Group 2: Are those people who are just a followers to a peer group as they just want to be accepted within a social group. What ever the group is doing, they will just supoort them blindly. This is a reflection of social learning theory where they look at something and follow it. However, these are just based from my personal experience back in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shebley say...

    Candace..As a human being, we have a lot of questions in our mind on everything that we see or feel from our senses. We have to continuously involve in information gathering in obtaining the right information at the right time so that we will not be left out from the “social media community”. Same thing goes to social networking…if we have no idea on what it is all about, then we should acquire the information about it and who knows we might be benefiting from it in terms of career opportunities, education, religion etc. I personally believe that we should seek knowledge on everything “from cradle to grave” as learning is a never ending process.

    With the advanced technologies, we don’t have to be seated on the chair and looking at the PC screen at all time in order to engage with any social networking channels. We can even have a face-to-face interaction with the usage of video call application via the social networking channels and it is affordable too! In addition, DeJean (2008) claims that “…mobility adds immediacy to social networking because social interactions will occur in real time more frequently”. Customers are now reachable via their mobile gadgets as they are connected to the social networking channels while they are on the move, be it on PDA, iPhone, Blackberry or even other mobile phones. As mobile gadgets are equipped with latest social networking application, therefore, we can be connected while we are on the move…while we are enjoying our sporting events…while we are attending functions and lots more!

    In addition, I personally believe that time management is something personal and it is different from one person to another. In reality, there are individuals who are able to handle many tasks at one time (during working hours) and later in the evening, they are actively engaging with their community both social networking communities and physical communities. On the other hand, there are also individuals who are unable to handle even a single task effectively and it took them a period of time to complete it. In completing the unfinish task, they have taken away their valuable time from the society.

    Nevertheless, if the Prime Minister of Australia (www.gov.au/PM_Connect/PMs_Blog) and Malaysia (www.1malaysia.com.my) as well as the President of United States of America (www.barackobamasblog.com) are able to be connected with their people on the blogs (which is part of social media), I don’t see any reason why we should be questioning about the functionality of social networking channels. If these great leaders are able to spend their time away from their busy daily schedule just to be connected with their people, then why can’t we do that in connecting with our contacts especially in continuously establishing and maintaining social relationships?

    DeJean, David. (2008). Social Networking Gets Moving. Computerworld, April 7-2008, 30-31. Retrieved March 23, 2010, from http://www.uws.edu.au/library.

    Uncles, Mark. (2000). Market Orientation. Australian Journal of Management, (25). Retrieved March 21, 2010, from http://www.agsm.edu.au/eajm/0009/edit.html.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gwyneth thanks for responding,

    There definitely are some people who use Facebook politically, perhaps an above average amount of those are under 25. But it does not mean the majority of people under 25 are politically active, just that they are more active than over 25's. I don't have data about people using FB socially, just talking from observation.

    When it comes to people under 25 who do engage in politics, who's to say they are not joining in because their friends are?

    Grish

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shebley say...

    This is the power of "peer groups" as they are able to influence the member within their social group

    ReplyDelete